Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: Charles Mccann <cmccann@fsu.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 07:55:13 PDT

Media materials reside on shelves many times with there sides facing outward, this only provides a very narrow surface to stick an often 8,9,10+ digit LC number, invariably it looks tacky, the numbers are difficult to read, the lable often wraps around the item and is sometime skipped in searches for it because employees and even librarians can't see the full number ... despite the recommendations for using LC -- I would HIGHLY RECOMMENDLY USING A SIMPLE AND CUSTOM NUMBERING SCHEME.

Or look at options to catalog them with a surpressed LC that can be added later if the media goes to integrated stacks, and in the meantime use simple numbering scheme.

Best!!
Chuck McCann
Media Librarian
Florida State University