Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: Susan Albrecht <albrechs@wabash.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 06:38:10 PDT

Eh, I'm not as sure you'll see the inventory shrinkage Gary is
suggesting, Scott. We've had our VHS collection in open stacks for a
good 7 or 8 years and shifted the DVDs from closed to open 3 years
ago. Last year we also made the switch to shelving the DVD *cases*
in the stacks but storing the discs themselves in sleeves behind the
circ desk. We had a similar jump in circulation after going to open
shelving, with very little inventory shrinkage, *especially* since
this last step of separating the discs from the cases was instituted.

After much discussion and disagreement, we decided to not interfile
the VHS & DVD, although they're located in the same general area. My
contention is that people who want to just browse tend to know which
format they want, and having to wade through both can be
annoying. We also use LC call numbering, for what that's
worth. Good luck, Maureen!

Susan Albrecht

At 04:48 PM 8/11/2009, you wrote:
>...a 30% increase in circulation...hmmm. Nifty.
>
>Check-back in with us re "inventory shrinkage" figures in a year or so,
>Scott.
>
>Gary Handman
>

> > Hi Maureen,
> >
> > First, I congratulate you. We moved our collections from closed to
> > open 2 years ago, and just last year we witnessed a 30% increase in
> > circulation with no real impact on instructor access or loss of
> > materials! When we moved our collections we actually reprocessed
> > many of our materials to LOC from a proprietary system. Poor tech
> > services essentially shut down for us for 3 months, however!
> >
> > We have our VHS and DVD materials interfiled with the call number
> > ranges listed on the end caps. Generally, patrons arrive either
> > knowing what they are looking for from the online catalog, or they
> > browse (typically the full length feature films PN's). Patrons seem
> > to be very comfortable finding the materials or they ask for
> > assistance at the front desk. If you want to consider an alternative
> > I would look at Barb Bergman's classification, which takes accentuates
> > forms/genre much more (correct?).
> >
> > One last thing, I am not certain if you are considering "video store"
> > shelving or more traditional. If you do go the traditional route,
> > make certain that tech services labels the DVD spines. They only did
> > the front cover initially, and this made shelf reading more
> > troublesome. If you have more questions, give me a holler!
> >
> > -Scott

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Manager
Wabash College Lilly Library