Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: <d.mandel@neu.edu>
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 06:14:54 PDT

Hi-

We've been circulating to students since 2001. Media is now classified by
LC and integrated with books in the stacks. More than 1000 CDs are
waiting to be reclassed from our accession numbering system. There are
mixed reactions to our shelving arrangement. When this came about two
years ago, Cinema Studies requested to have about 1000 DVDs available at
the Circulation Desk, with a "restricted" status (for faculty, classroom
use, or student in-library viewing only). New DVDs, cinema studies
requested or not, go to the open stacks, unless specifically requested for
reserve.

Debra

Debra H. Mandel,
Head, Digital Media Design Studio
Northeastern University Libraries
360 Huntington Ave.
200 SL
Boston, MA 02115
d.mandel@neu.edu
617-373-4902, 617-373-5409-FAX

"Maureen Tripp" <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
08/11/09 03:48 PM
Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

<videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
cc

Subject
[Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

Finally, it?s going to happen?we?re going to start circulating video to
students from open stacks.
The big stumbling block now is how to label the videos on the shelf?
Use the Library of Congress call number, or use some other title-based
system?
I like using LOC, but others on the committee would prefer a more
user-friendly system.
What says the collective wisdom?
Maureen Tripp
Media Librarian
Iwasaki Library
120 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02116
maureen_tripp@emerson.edu
(617)824-8407VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively
discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and
evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped
that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video
librarians, as well as a channel of communication between
libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.