Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: Karen Glover <kmlively@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 13:23:29 PDT

Maureen, All of our titles have LOC labels but we shelve them by the first letter of the title. We are actually experimenting with shelving by genre and then by first letter of the title. It seems to work fine. We keep the disks behind the desk in LOC order. Because it is a browsing collection I try to make it as easy for the patron as possible. I don't expect them to have to look in the catalog to find something although it is sometimes necessary. We are trying to move towards the video store model with our collection. Karen Glover Circulation Services Librarian, Assistant Department Head Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA ________________________________ From: Maureen Tripp <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu> To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:28:54 PM Subject: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"? video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"? Finally, it’s going to happen—we’re going to start circulating video to students from open stacks. The big stumbling block now is how to label the videos on the shelf— Use the Library of Congress call number, or use some other title-based system— I like using LOC, but others on the committee would prefer a more user-friendly system. What says the collective wisdom? Maureen Tripp Media Librarian Iwasaki Library 120 Boylston Street Boston, MA 02116 maureen_tripp@emerson.edu (617)824-8407