Re: [Videolib] video browsing collection: LOC or "some other system"?

From: John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 13:14:51 PDT

Hello,
I looked into going with LOC once (in closed stacks), and I believed one
of the tripping points was that the call numbers for feature films would
be very similar (every one starts with PN 1995 or there about). I would
go with a modified LOC that would drop the PN 1995 and use the rest of
the call number. Good luck, and keep us posted, I am curious to see how
this goes.
regards,
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> Maureen Tripp <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu> 8/11/2009 12:28 PM >>>

Finally, it

s going to happen

*

we

re going to start circulating video to students from open stacks.

The big stumbling block now is how to label the videos on the shelf

*

Use the Library of Congress cal

l number, or use some other title-based system

*

I like using LOC, but others on the committee would prefer a more
user-friendly system.

What says the collective wisdom?

Maureen Tripp

Media Librarian