Re: [Videolib] Blu-ray acquisitions in Academic libraries

From: Nell Chenault <njchenau@vcu.edu>
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 11:24:49 PDT

We are buying it, but in very limited cases. Only a few cinema studies
classrooms have players in the classroom or labs. The library media
center is also one of the few places on campus where the community can
view or master high def format video - in our group viewing room,
viewing PC's and player stations or our digital video editing stations.

Titles selected to date must utilize visual or audio features of
Blu-Ray. To date we only have 40 titles.

The Blu-Ray and standard DVD does cause some user confusion - especially
with holds and availability. We do have the format display in the top
level of the catalog list display, but many users do not notice the
difference. We need the Blu-Ray icon in the catalog. (for those of use
here through other format transitions, this is familiar issue)

The cost differential is not as high as the difference between video and
laserdisc with the introduction of laserdiscs. With the problems with
damage to dvd's, lost dvd's, etc.. I don't mind purchasing a few to
support cinema studies and the many users who now do have HD at home.

Nell Chenault
Head, Media & Reserve Services
VCU Libraries
Virginia Commonwealth University