Re: [Videolib] Input on this? ITunesU and VMR Media Migration

From: John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 13:59:38 PDT

I believe we only use iTunes for original content and as a way to get information to new or incoming students, so I didn't have much to say. Also, iTunes is under the auspices of another branch of the university so I don't know much about it.
jhs

>>> Susan Albrecht <albrechs@wabash.edu> 8/3/2009 6:30 AM >>>
Nobody wants to talk about this?? Kind of strange, given that this
is the same group that can generate 45 posts on a typical "Can I or
can't I?" question. ;)

Awww, come on, what's your institution's stand on iTunesU? Is it
enough to password protect and restrict access to course-enrolled
individuals? Or does download-ability mean iTunesU should be avoided?

Susan

At 09:14 AM 7/31/2009, you wrote:
>Videolibbers,
>
>I would be curious what comments any of you (particularly those of
>you who work in an academic library or media setting) might make in
>response to an announcement such as the following. Is it
>appropriate? Overreacting? Dead wrong? Absolutely right on? Don't
>want to respond because you're pleading the 5th? ;)
>

> >In review of our current copyright compliance policy regarding
> >digital audio and video files, we have decided to discontinue using
> >iTunesU for online access to copyright protected course
> >material. The issue with using iTunesU for students to access
> >copyright protected course media is it allows students to download
> >materials for viewing, rather than permitting access only to online
> >streamed content for a limited period of time. Since we have no
> >control over materials once they have been downloaded, several
> >independent organizations have advised that this violates the fair
> >use provision of the copyright law, even though materials are
> >restricted to students in the course.
> >
> >In order to avoid these copyright issues, we will revert to
> >streaming course materials on our VMR site. I am currently in the
> >process of transferring all applicable media files for the fall
> >semester from iTunesU to VMR.
> >
> >We will continue to use iTunesU to distribute the college's
> original content.
>

>Thoughts?
>
>Susan at Wabash College

Susan Albrecht