Re: [Videolib] Face To Face Fair Use

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 09:31:39 PDT

Hi Allen

Well, ya know...honestly, if UC legal counsel supported the position you
want me to rail against, I'd be a happy man.

I've never in my 30 years in this business railed against the right of
vendors to defend their markets. I DO rail against the misinformation and
obfuscation that has sometimes been put out their by certain vendors, and
I DO rail against the increasingly virulent attempts of the media industry
(particularly the BIG GUYS) to limit or obstruct legitimate fair use
rights of users.

Gary

PS: I'd love to see a copy of the position paper you refer to.

> I applaud the information that is shared on this list serve. The
> educational video industry has been my life's work. From what I have
> recently read here, those who contribute to this site see the importance
> and power of what we produce and distribute, and the need for copyright
> compliance. So, I write to this list for the first time to solicit all
> your support.
>

> I work for Ambrose Video Publishing and recently returned to volunteer as
> President for AIME, an organization that I believe needs to be
> restructured and fully supported, if copyright compliance is going to have
> any meaning at all.
>

> A major University, and I believe there are others, has taken the position
> that the "Face To Face" exemption and "Fair Use" provide them the
> authority for their digitization, digital copying, and dissemination
> through streaming, on their school's system, of the entire work of any
> legal copy of a video production owned by the University or brought to it
> by a faculty member. They have provided this position to AIME in answer
> to AIME's cease and desist demands. The position paper is available from
> AIME.
>

> I would like to believe that everyone on this list serve would "rail"
> against this position, in the same way that Gary justifiably rails against
> "vendors" who take unsupported copyright positions. AIME needs your help.
> E-mail us at bettyge@mchsi.com and offer us your support. Go to
> www.AIME.org and fill out our online application form, as an institution
> or as a vendor. We at AIME are dedicated to protecting the intelectual
> property rights that should be important to us all. I believe our mission
> is at one with this list serve. We seek to provide copyright clarity
> through legal expertise. We also seek enforcement where necessary. We
> sure could use your help!
> producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut