Re: [Videolib] Blu-ray acquisitions in Academic libraries

From: Bergman, Barbara J <barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu>
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 08:40:26 PDT

We don’t define formats beyond “currently available” in our purchasing policy.

I see that you’re dealing with Cinema Studies. I’d recommend talking with those profs, who –imho- are the only ones who might legitimately need the higher resolution of Blu-Ray, and see what their opinions are.

When our film studies profs asked – in connection with a refurbishment of the auditorium they use – I told them that if they added a Blu-Ray player, I would be willing to purchase Blu-Ray for their classes.
But I explained that the DVDs wouldn’t be able to be used anywhere else on campus. (Campus classrooms all contain a DVD player and, thus far, a VCR).
And that the money for purchasing new titles and duplicate titles (of the films we already have on DVD) comes from the same account.
They agreed that they’d rather have the Library buy more new titles that everyone could make use of, so no Blu-Ray at this point.

Barb Bergman | Media Services Librarian | Minnesota State University, Mankato | (507) 389-5945 | barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu