[Videolib] Input on this? ITunesU and VMR Media Migration

From: Susan Albrecht <albrechs@wabash.edu>
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 06:14:42 PDT

Videolibbers,

I would be curious what comments any of you (particularly those of
you who work in an academic library or media setting) might make in
response to an announcement such as the following. Is it
appropriate? Overreacting? Dead wrong? Absolutely right on? Don't
want to respond because you're pleading the 5th? ;)

>In review of our current copyright compliance policy regarding
>digital audio and video files, we have decided to discontinue using
>iTunesU for online access to copyright protected course
>material. The issue with using iTunesU for students to access
>copyright protected course media is it allows students to download
>materials for viewing, rather than permitting access only to online
>streamed content for a limited period of time. Since we have no
>control over materials once they have been downloaded, several
>independent organizations have advised that this violates the fair
>use provision of the copyright law, even though materials are
>restricted to students in the course.
>
>In order to avoid these copyright issues, we will revert to
>streaming course materials on our VMR site. I am currently in the
>process of transferring all applicable media files for the fall
>semester from iTunesU to VMR.
>
>We will continue to use iTunesU to distribute the college's original content.

Thoughts?

Susan at Wabash College

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Manager