[Videolib] Something for self-distributors to think about

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 18:25:19 PDT

The whole post card, publicity issue has reminded me of something I've
been meaning to say for a long time.

Some institutions, like mine (maybe many institutions) require a federal
taxpayer ID in order to make a purchase. For the larger indie
distributors--any distributor that we use regularly and is vendor-coded in
our accounting system--this isn't an issue. For one-offs and irregulars,
it is. It's often like pulling teeth to get an ID # from such,
particularly if the main mode of business is the web. Sometimes we just
give up in trying to track down the requisite ID.

I would urge any distributor considering doing business on the web or
otherwise to make their taxpayer ID prominently known. It's no big deal,
really...it's not sensitive information. Just do it!

Gary (who is three-quarters of the way out the door and headed toward a
week-long vacation, so no more fair use or postcards for me for awhile)

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut