Re: [Videolib] Redbox

From: Barbara Silberstein <BSilberstein@princetonlibrary.org>
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 10:58:23 PDT

Red Box does, theoretically, compete with our own revenue stream on some titles, as the Library offers feature DVDs for a rental of $1 per day. We can't and certainly don't want to buy 30 copies of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Redbox offers many titles that don't consider for purchase, both adult and childrens' films. With Red Box taking care of blockbusters we can concentrate on the other stuff.

Although the library has no input into the titles included in the kiosk, Red Box has indicated that they do tweak the selections once they look at the use patterns for a particular installation. We may have some access to borrowing reports from Red Box-- we've requested this capability as part of the pilot, so we can see what people are borrowing and do some analysis about the impact on our collection