Re: [Videolib] Redbox Trial

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 08:08:16 PDT

Yes, details please, I'm really interested in it too.

As has been well established, I am very interested in passing costs along to students and not building library collections <I KID, I KID>. The fact is, we do not have a circulating video collection because we can't afford to. The collection budget goes strictly toward purchase of materials that support the curriculum and collection development is heavily faculty-request driven. Only faculty are allowed to actually check videos out of the collection; students have to watch them in the library. I think the Redbox would be an interesting idea as a way to provide a service we do not currently offer at all. And $1 is cheaper than $2.99 for an amazon rental! Hmm ...

I love this list ...

>>> "Olsen, Kathy" <Kaolsen@browardlibrary.org> 7/30/2009 10:48 AM >>>
Barbara,

Can you tell us more about how this project works and how much of your time is involved? Who selects the titles, how many copies of each title, etc.

We're one of those locations that purchases large quantities of the newest releases, which impacts our ability to purchase other worthwhile programs.

The idea of charging for any library service concerns me, but I think our Director wants to go in this direction.

Thanks!

Kathy Olsen
Collection Development Librarian
Broward County Library