Re: [Videolib] Redbox Trial

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 08:01:58 PDT

It's actually not uncommon for public libraries to have book rental. This isn't new. They get tons of copies of the latest Nora Roberts <grin> or whatever, and then patrons don't have to wait to read it if they don't want to. Then they return the books to the vendor once the book isn't insanely popular anymore. For example:

http://www.bloomingtonlibrary.org/find/books_&_reading/readers_corner/rental_books/

I believe libraries also buy copies of the new popular stuff, so that patrons who don't want to pay the dollar can get on the waiting list and get the book when it's available. Sure, it's a dollar to read it, but that's a lot cheaper than buying it, and you don't have lots of Nora Roberts books collecting dust in your house.

I don't think it's creepy.

Just my 2 cents.

Sarah

>>> Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com> 7/30/2009 10:40 AM >>>
Kind of creeps me out. First because I always think library stuff should be
free. I get that it is NOT library stuff but sometimes it is just the first
step in "gee maybe if people will pay $1.00 for the new DVDs, they will pay
a buck for a popular new book". Also anytime commercial stuff is promised as
a way to
"improve" a collection or have MORE money for something I smell a rat but
good luck.