Re: [Videolib] postcards - a plea for sanity

From: <Tom.Ipri@unlv.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 10:18:52 PDT

I'll dare to oppose the opposing viewpoint and cast my vote with the
anti-postcard camp. Although I will agree that email isn't very effective
for me, which is a shame since, theoretically, I am all for using less
paper. But the reality is that I am often overwhelmed with email and if,
like Matt, I don't need to take action, it gets "disappeared." That said,
anything posted to VideoNews gets directed to a folder, which I will
eventually look at. So, a thumbs up for VideoNews.

I prefer catalogs. The ideal catalog has a date on it and all the new
stuff up front. If there is a title I think a faculty would be interested,
I look it up online and send an email. Ironic, I know.

Tom

PS Don't tell Iris I was being contrary. She wouldn't believe it.

_____________________________
Tom Ipri, MS
Head, Media and Computer Services
Lied Library
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy
Box 457035
Las Vegas, NV 89154-7035
702-895-2183
tom.ipri@unlv.edu

Matt Bailey <mbailey@carleton.edu>
Sent by: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
07/29/2009 09:59 AM
Please respond to
videolib@lists.berkeley.edu

videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Videolib] postcards - a plea for sanity

Well, I guess someone needs to present the opposing viewpoint. I
actually like receiving the postcards. I get so many e-mails that
anything that doesn't require action or a response from me gets
immediately deleted, and I also don't spend much time looking through
catalogs, so postcards are a way to make a particular title stand out.
If a title interests me, it's much easier to hang on to a postcard for
it as a reminder to order than to mark a page in a catalog (or tear it
out). It also makes it easier to pass on to someone else who might be
interested in the video.

Plus, if you make the postcard eye-catching enough, I might pin it to
my bulletin board.

Matt Bailey

--
Matt Bailey