Re: [Videolib] postcards - a plea for sanity

From: Susan Albrecht <albrechs@wabash.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 09:49:50 PDT

OTOH, I appreciate getting postcards for *brand new*
offerings. They're easy to set aside in a pile of items to be
ordered, if one sounds like a good addition, or simple to forward to
a potentially interested faculty member for input. The whole
catalog? Yeah, they're easier to file away, but then I have to find
time to go through them all, which isn't always going to
happen. It's so much easier to take a quick glance at the postcard
and decide if it's something worth considering.

Just one other single individual's POV.
Susan at Wabash

At 12:43 PM 7/29/2009, Jessewrote:
>As a filmmaker with New Day Films - getting ready to navigate
>distribution for the fall -- I want to thank you for this info!!!!
>

>On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Vicki Nesting
><<mailto:vnestin@bellsouth.net>vnestin@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>I have been cleaning my catalog shelves this week and want to make a
>plea to our video distributor friends on this list: don't rely on
>postcards or other loose paper mailings as a substitute for catalogs.
>
>I get many, many, many postcard announcements from video
>distributors about their latest offerings. I throw all the mail I
>receive about video products on a shelf. I do the same with the
>audio catalogs/mailings I receive. The catalogs are relatively easy
>to file (although everyone needs to put dates on the front so I can
>figure out which is the most current) but the postcards and loose
>paper? Impossible. On the other hand, I love the mailings I get
>from New Video because they are 8-1/2" x 11" and are hole-punched to
>go into a binder. They have dates on them so I can figure out what's current.
>
>When I go to order, I don't have the patience to dig through the
>piles of postcards and loose paper to see what your latest offerings
>are. So if they haven't been reviewed in Video Librarian, didn't
>appear on a "best" list, and all you sent me was a postcard or other
>loose paper mailing, chances are that I'm going to miss it.
>
>What is most useful to me when I'm ordering?
>* A positive review in Video Librarian
>* Appearance on a year-end "best" list (Notable Videos, Video
>Librarian, Booklist)
>* Something I had a chance to preview at National Media Market
>* Catalog or 8-1/2" x 11" hole punched cut sheets for new titles
>(and a binder to put them in!)
>
>And by the way, email is useful to let me know about sales or to
>send me pricing, but it's not the place I look when I sit down to do
>my ordering.
>
>Speaking for myself alone,
>Vicki

Susan Albrecht