Re: [Videolib] what to do about extra digital discs?

From: John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 09:38:58 PDT

Hi all,
would it be illegal to load the digital copy onto a computer at the
library for use in house, and still check out the physical copy. This
is a way of at least getting something of value out of what you perceive
as an additional cost. Just curious.
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> Danielle Phillips <danilphillips@gmail.com> 7/29/2009 8:41 AM >>>
We use Baker and Taylor. This is mostly an issue with Blu-rays, but
occasionally a DVD comes like this. I think you're right Winona. We
can't very well prove that we're paying extra for this, even though I'm
pretty sure we are. I think we'll probably go with just discarding it.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Winona Patterson
<wpatters@harpercollege.edu>

wrote:

We haven’t discussed anything with our vendors specifically regarding
being charged (or “not charged”) for the digital copy of the movie. Like
you said, it feels like we’re being charged for it, but is there really
a way to prove it? And if we raise a fuss, I’m afraid something might
happen along the lines of what Fox was trying to do earlier this year
with forcing libraries to purchase only the no-frills versions of
popular DVDs (which they quickly recanted).

As for what we do in-house once we receive the DVD with digital copy *
we’re doing what Meghann and the University of Delaware are doing. Also,
if a patron is savvy enough to know about the digital copies in the
first place, they should also be savvy enough to know that the download
is a one-time thing.

Winona Patterson

A/V Cataloger
LRC Tech Services, Harper College
1200 W. Algonquin Rd., Palatine, IL 60067
Direct Line 847-925-6770

wpatters@harpercollege.edu

producers and distributors.

--