[Videolib] postcards - a plea for sanity

From: Vicki Nesting <vnestin@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 09:26:04 PDT

I have been cleaning my catalog shelves this week and want to make a plea to our video distributor friends on this list: don't rely on postcards or other loose paper mailings as a substitute for catalogs.

I get many, many, many postcard announcements from video distributors about their latest offerings. I throw all the mail I receive about video products on a shelf. I do the same with the audio catalogs/mailings I receive. The catalogs are relatively easy to file (although everyone needs to put dates on the front so I can figure out which is the most current) but the postcards and loose paper? Impossible. On the other hand, I love the mailings I get from New Video because they are 8-1/2" x 11" and are hole-punched to go into a binder. They have dates on them so I can figure out what's current.

When I go to order, I don't have the patience to dig through the piles of postcards and loose paper to see what your latest offerings are. So if they haven't been reviewed in Video Librarian, didn't appear on a "best" list, and all you sent me was a postcard or other loose paper mailing, chances are that I'm going to miss it.

What is most useful to me when I'm ordering?
* A positive review in Video Librarian
* Appearance on a year-end "best" list (Notable Videos, Video Librarian, Booklist)
* Something I had a chance to preview at National Media Market
* Catalog or 8-1/2" x 11" hole punched cut sheets for new titles (and a binder to put them in!)

And by the way, email is useful to let me know about sales or to send me pricing, but it's not the place I look when I sit down to do my ordering.

Speaking for myself alone,
Vicki

Vicki Nesting
Assistant Director