Re: [Videolib] classroom use of "home and community viewing" dvd

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 18:16:12 PDT

I'm really excited that the "pay per view" thing is available now at
amazon, netflix of course, and even now our Swank rep tells me that they
have worked out a way for students to pay (individually) to stream
feature films. One of my film prof pals assigned a paper on "Shaun of
the Dead" for Summer 1 this year, and he told me that at least half of
the students watched it via Netflix. Obviously not all titles are going
to be available via the online vendors (EVER) but it's a piece of the
puzzle.

Sarah

>>> Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com> 07/28/09 7:59 PM >>>
Ok but since virtually all major feature films ( well Hollywood anyway)
are
encrypted that pretty much knocks out any legal streaming of them.
I get Sony but it specifically involved home use. courts since then have
not
allowed any case involving a whole work including the current one in
Boston
re student file sharing where the Harvard Prof attempted to use "Fair
use"
as a defense.

I think you get that I am a little sensitive to the concept of streaming
whole films even if the use is "educational" cause if the dear little
students want to watch it on their laptops etc than it should be
licensed or
they can just go to the library like everyone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp._of_America_v._Universal_City_Studios,_Inc
> .
>
> Of course the Google case that dealt with thumbnails of images is
another,
> but not film related. I think it is pretty commonly held that using
entire
> articles or short works (short stories, poems, etc.) for electronic
reserves
> purposes where certain requirements are met (which differ from
university to
> university - using a CMS, ensuring it is for a course, perhaps
requiring
> that it's use is in some way "spontaneous, etc.) is fair. It does
seem
> strange that a short story or article (and entire work) is considered
fair,
> while a novel or book is not. My sense is that there is a difference
in the
> economics of these kinds of works, and that is why it has been seen as
ok to
> use an article, poem, short story, but not something longer. These
works
> are generally packaged and sold in anthologies or other collections.
>
> mb
> ________________________________

I am
> talking about here. You know the stuff with Georgia State tried to
claim
> but has now backed down from.
>
> I am more than bit backward in terms of technology but I am told it is
> impossible to for instance stream a film or even a portion of a film
from
> an encryped DVD ( and all studio films at least are encrypted)
without
> breaking the encryption. Has the technology changed and you can now
stream
> without effecting the encryption ?
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Brewer, Michael <
> brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu<mailto:brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu>>
> wrote:
> The law says nothing about it having to be a portion. There have been
> number of fair use cases that have been upheld where an entire work
was
> used. It could be a portion or more than a portion (an entire article,
poem,
> image, whatever).
>
> The Digital Millennium Copyright act only makes it illegal to
circumvent
> If these are not circumvented (or disabled), or are not in use,
copying
> from a DVD (or other medium) is not restricted.
>
> It also says nothing about how much can or can't be digitized. That
would
> be determined by a fair use justification or some other exception to
> copyright (like TEACH). I think you are thinking of the exceptions to
1201 -
> the one that says film profs can circumvent CSS or other anti-piracy
stuff
> to pull clips. This restricts the use of these to the classroom,
however, so
> digitizing for streaming is not covered by this exception to 1201.
>
> mb
> ________________________________
> From: videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:
> videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu>
[videolib-bounces@lists.berkeley.edu
Rosner
> [maddux2014@gmail.com<mailto:maddux2014@gmail.com>]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:50 PM
> To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu<mailto:videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Videolib] classroom use of "home and community viewing"
dvd

> Oh you meant making copies of CONTAINING a portion something used in
> transformative way. Yes of course you can use a quote, clip etc in a
lecture
> article , video etc. Silly me I thought you meant making copies of
whole
> works for classes to save money or something. FYI since the Digital
Milenium

<ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> <mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>><mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> ><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>>><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> <mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu><mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> >><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> <mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>>>>> wrote:
> Not in this case, Jessica, but what I'm saying is that unless it's
> contractually locked down, vendors have no right to offer conditions
of
> use that attempt to trump fair use.
>
> gary
>

>> > "Fair Use" which has nothing to do this one which is obviously
covered by
> > the Face to Face exemption. My skin starts to crawl a bit when "
Fair
> Use"
> > is thrown around in the same discussion with using a whole film. Too
many
> > academics through the term around like it is a magic potion for
doing
> > whatever they want regardless of copyright.
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:24 PM,
<ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> <mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>><mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> ><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>>><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> <mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu><mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> >><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu<mailto:
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> <mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>>>>> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone on this list who doesn't known this stuff by now should have
his
> >> or
> >> her professional stripes ripped off the sleeve.
> >>
> >> The real (profoundly annoying) issue here is really the all too
common
> >> practice of certain vendors of trying to foist off bum information
and
> >> false requirements that fly in the face of either/and 1) fair use
rights
> >> 2) other use rights afforded under current copyright.
> >>
> >> I will go to my grave railing against vendors who claim that public
> >> performance rights are needed just because an institution is
buying. If
> >> you use the video in face-to-face curricular use in the classroom,
you
> >> don't need no steeenking performance rights.
> >>
> >> If you can buy it on the open market as home video, it's absolutely
cool
> >> to use it in f-to-f classroom teaching.
> >>
> >> If a vendor wants to tier price, so be it...but call it what it is.
> >>
> >> gary handman

:)

> >> educational
> >> licensing