[Videolib] what to do about extra digital discs?

From: Danielle Phillips <danilphillips@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 14:47:47 PDT

I purchase a lot of DVD's and Blu-rays for a large library district.
Recently, many DVD"s and Blu-rays have been coming with an 'extra digital
disc.' These digital discs allow a person to download the material onto
their portable device or computer. The problem is they're single use. Once
someone uses the code to download the material, it is no longer valid.

We don't know what to do about these. Clearly, they're meant for retail
establishments, not for libraries. Our vendor has offered to leave this
extra disc out. My problem with this solution is we'll still technically be
getting charged for this 'extra' material, whether or not we take it. Our
vendor insists that the studios aren't charging for adding this feature, but
I've noticed the price difference between a DVD with this and a DVD without
it, you can't tell me the studios are giving it away for free. All too
frequently this is the only edition we can buy. What have you done about
this?
Thanks.

--
Danielle Phillips