[Videolib] classroom use of "home and community viewing" dvd

From: Deborah Benrubi <benrubi@usfca.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 11:22:27 PDT

Dear video experts,

I've just purchased a DVD that came with a restriction I haven't seen
before. We bought a "home use" DVD from a major vendor for an instructor
who wants to show it in a class under the usual
"face-to-face-teaching-in-the-classroom" exemption. I popped it in the DVD
player and was presented with a statement that the DVD is for "home and
community viewing only" and that "use by universities, colleges, schools,
public libraries" etc. was strictly prohibited. This was not specified
anywhere on the website that I saw when I ordered and paid. I think there
was no contract prohibiting classroom use under the exemption, so we can
use it. I also think it's curious that they specify "community" viewing is
allowed. What do you think?

Thanks for your advice.

Deborah Benrubi
Technical Services Librarian
University of San Francisco
Gleeson Library|Geschke Center
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117

PHONE (415) 422-5672 / FAX (415) 422-2233
EMAIL <benrubi@usfca.edu>