Re: [Videolib] More Friday afternoon trivia

From: Hallman, Philip <phallman@umich.edu>
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 15:17:26 PDT

Actually, I'm not finding it either on this site but it is for sale on www.fnac.com<http://www.fnac.com> under the French title PLACE AUX JEUNES and is in English with French subtitles.

This is from Jonathan Rosenbaum's brief review in Cinema Scope last year:

Place aux jeunes (BAC Video). I can follow Bernard Eisenschitz's informative, thoughtful, and unsubtitled introduction to this French edition of Leo McCarey's sublime Make Way for Tomorrow (1937) only partially, though enough to register the interesting anomaly that Beulah Bondi, who plays Thomas Mitchell's mother in this film, was only four years older than him. This beautiful restoration of McCarey's masterpiece is also outfitted with irremovable French subtitles, which is far more irritating. It also costs a fortune. But what an amazing movie this is, and what a blessing it is that someone, somehow, has finally made it available (not counting the crummy pirated version that 5 Minutes to Live used to offer).