Re: [Videolib] PPR note in catalog record

From: Susan Weber <sweber@langara.bc.ca>
Date: Thu Jul 23 2009 - 23:34:40 PDT

We have a lot of PPR titles, since it is necessary for us, In Canada,
to have those rights for classroom use.
We use the MARC 540 field to state
Restrictions: Licensed for classroom use at XXX College
or
Restrictions: Home use only
The MARC 506 and 540 are for restrictions placed by the rights owner
on the distribution and use of the item. AACR2 is the source
for the use of these tags.
When PPR is obtained or included
in the purchase, it should be put in the catalog record, since
print records, such as invoices are often not available to the
media dept. and are often purged after a certain number of years.
If you include the info. in the catalog record, then as long as
you keep the item, you'll have the relevant lending info.
Many times a dept. changes staff and the info. or paperwork
is not understandable or retrievable by the new staff who
have no idea what rights belong to items. The catalog
record, at least, is a static source of info. and will succeed
staff turnover.

Susan