Re: [Videolib] Public Performance Vendors

From: Jackson, Sandra F. <Jacksonsf@uncw.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 23 2009 - 15:53:52 PDT

I certainly thank everyone who has responded to my original question, but Jessica is correct. I am looking for companies that offer PPR for films to be shown in my university's state-of-the-art movie theater (360 stadium seats). We show major motion pictures, independent films, art films and award-winning documentaries. The programmers who utilize Lumina Theater re not necessarily opposed to purchasing DVDs to that come with PPR, but the programmers' main interest is the public showing. We don't really need PPR for specialty educational videos more suited to a classroom use. Our Film Studies Department is pleased that Lumina Theater programming offers so much worthy film for their film majors to see.

Of course, I realize that this forum is for video librarians, but it is the best source I have found for discussion on the merits of a large variety of film titles, the continued search for notable films, and the search for films titles on particular topics (I love it when everyone recommends titles for someone's list du jour). Also, I do appreciate the help everyone offers others for finding PPR. I especially enjoy the discussions about copyright law, no matter how contentious they become. I even appreciate the group's ability to mourn when another distributor is lost (I just had to tell another programmer that with New Yorker gone, she will have great difficulty finding a way to secure PPR for Amour Voilées).

Thank you for letting me learn from you all.

Sandra
Sandra F. Jackson
Film Program Coordinator
Lumina Theater & Sharky's Box Office
UNCW Presents
The University of North Carolina Wilmington
910.962.7971
jacksonsf@uncw.edu
http://www.uncw.edu/lumina