[Videolib] Film reference discovery...

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 10:47:26 PDT

Hi all

Yesterday, Alan Goble paid a visit to MRC (he's in town for the SF Silent
Flm Festival). If you've been around and doing media long enough, you may
remember Alan as the author of The International Film Index :
1895-1990...one of the earliest and most comprehensive indexes to
international film.

The IFI was later made available on CD-ROM... What with the rise of other
online film indexes, I sort of forgot all about the IFI...thought it had
gone out of print. Turns out it has NOT gone away, but instead has swung
online: http://www.citwf.com/ (renamed The Complete Index to World
Film). A stripped down version of the CIW is available for free at the
abovementioned url. It includes some advertisement to support the cost of
running the database. The full (ad-less) version of the db includes
citations to articles, reviews, and other good stuff...only a couple of
hundred bucks a year.

I believe that Alan's db has a great deal more films in it than either the
AFI catalog or the BFI index (Film Index International). It is, of
course, enormously more authoritative than the IMDB.

I gotta say that the design of the db is not particularly elegant, and
credit info tends to be on the sparse side. Still, I've been impressed by
what I've seen so far.

Check it out.

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut