Re: [Videolib] FW: digital A/V archive? a copyright matter

From: Chris Markman <cmarkman@clarku.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 10:11:08 PDT

"Extend" probably wasn't the right word -- distributing DVD content without
subverting media encryption is a little closer to what I'm talking about and
a [somewhat] ignored underpinning in Peter's original question. Even if they
met all of the requirements the physical act of duplication would mean the
use of illegal tools (at the moment anyway:
http://www.realdvd.com/litigation).

Assuming the correct context, wouldn't VLC simple act as a "virtual" video
cable in this instance? Legally, where is the distinction between a DVD
player with a very long cable and VLC streaming the same audiovisual
content?

-CM