Re: [Videolib] FW: digital A/V archive? a copyright matter

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 08:02:51 PDT

VLC is merely a local area network solution for delivering video content.

It's NOT a way of extending a copyrighted collection, unless licenses or
permissions are obtained from the copyright holder of the material. Just
because the media is secure and access authenticated doesn't a priori mean
that copyright is being respected.

gary handman

> Has anyone tried VLC (http://www.videolan.org) in any capacity as a
> video-on-demand service for their library? I've been considering a "beta"
> launch this semester for the Screen Studies program at my university.
>
> There are some technical hurdles to overcome as far as configuring the
> network and training but it seems like an easy way to extend our
> collection
> across campus while keeping the physical media secure and respecting
> copyright (let's ignore the issue of scaling the service for now). Any
> thoughts?
>
> Chris Markman
> Resource Library Coordinator
> Visual & Performing Arts
> Clark University
> 508.793.7481
> cmarkman@clarku.edu
>
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Troy Davis <mtdavi@wm.edu> wrote:
>
>> ditto what gary says. after all, u never know when you will get sued.
>> what the court looks at are "facts." (and, if i read decisions right,
>> "good faith" too)
>>
>> we all know we need a way to serve video online. not because people
>> steal a DVD but because that's where we are. when i watched a netflix
>> video last night on my xbox 360 (over wireless), on a 60" TV (and it
>> looked awesome), i realized...we have arrived.
>>
>> troy

> producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut