Re: [Videolib] FW: digital A/V archive? a copyright matter

From: Susan Albrecht <albrechs@wabash.edu>
Date: Sat Jul 11 2009 - 11:07:46 PDT

Except that I think the analogy fails because, unless I'm missing
something, breaking the one law wouldn't really do anything to
*prevent* the breaking of another. Isn't the issue wanting to have a
backup in case someone breaks the law by stealing? I don't see how
breaking the law to make backups would prevent those thefts. Ergo,
there's no justification that breaking the law prevents someone else
from breaking another.

Susan at Wabash

At 01:16 PM 7/11/2009, Troy Davis wrote:
>Not sure how much debate their can be on this. creating a digital a/v
>archive is a good idea in many ways, but the proposal would clearly be
>breaking one law to prevent the breaking of another. (not sure of a
>good analogy..stealing a car to prevent someone else from stealing
>it?)
>
>The real debate is not whether you can legally do this (altho i'm not
>a lawyer, i'd say you can't), but rather (as Dennis points out) how
>to secure your DVD collection.
>
>On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Brewer,
>Michael<brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu> wrote:
> > I agree this is not a fair use, but I would argue that a use does
> not have to "pass" all 4 factors to be fair as Dennis asserts. That
> is not how it works. The balance has to be in favor or the fair
> use. This could fit with 108, but only in very specific situations
> (and not making a copy up front "just in case"). see:
> http://librarycopyright.net/109spinner/
> >
> > mb

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Manager