Re: [Videolib] Big Parade

From: Dennis Doros <milefilms@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 09 2009 - 11:47:35 PDT

Gail,
There's been promises from Warner Brothers about this and the film has been
recently restored from the original negative by George Eastman House.

This was on Nitrateville.com which is the best site regarding silent and
early sound films:

http://www.filmradar.com/articles/item/an_interview_with_george_feltenstein_for_how_the_west_was_won/

From: An Interview with George Feltenstein August 2008

What about The Big Parade? It is among my most favorite silent films.

"We are planning that for 2009. We will hopefully be releasing both the
original 1925 version and the 1931 “sound re-issue” which had a score with
sound effects synchronized. We’ve planned something very big around that. We
want to do a King Vidor set with The Crowd and The Big Parade and some of
his other silents. There is a lot more silent film coming from Warner Home
Video!"

However, I don't believe I have seen any release date. The score that Kevin
Brownlow commissioned from the composer Carl Davis is magnificent and
licensing that may be one of the holdups. The film itself is one of the
great masterpieces of cinema from any era and King Vidor's output from 1925
through 1928 alone would make him one of the best directors ever.
Interestingly enough, Vidor's *Bardely's The Magnificent* which had been
LOST since 1926 or so and just discovered last year, is already out on DVD
as of this week.

Dennis
Milestone F&V

--