Re: [Videolib] Audio Books and Academic Libraries

From: Winona Patterson <wpatters@harpercollege.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 02 2009 - 07:59:41 PDT

We’ve had audiobooks both on CD and tape for many years, and the CD audiobooks do circulate quite often. We are a community college that also serves those in our district that do not have a public library of their own, so we do have a nice popular collection. The audiobooks are in their own high-traffic browsing area, near the McNaughton leased books and the information desk.

Recently we started a loose ESL collection of easier popular works, short story collections and short fiction both in book format and CD audiobook; both records have notes that the item is also available in the other format, and a sticker on the item stating the same. It’s proved to be quite popular – sort of a “read-along” package for older learners.

Hope this helps, Jared – let us know what your library decides to do!

Winona Patterson
A/V Cataloger
LRC Tech Services, Harper College
1200 W. Algonquin Rd., Palatine, IL 60067
Direct Line 847-925-6770
wpatters@harpercollege.edu <mailto:wpatters@harpercollege.edu>