Re: [Videolib] Audio Books and Academic Libraries

From: Danielle Phillips <danilphillips@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 15:35:31 PDT

I am the media buyer for a large county library district, so I'm speaking
from the perspective of a public collection development librarian. We
purchase unabridged audiobooks on regular CD and have been doing so for some
time. They can be a hassle considering how many discs are included,
cataloging costs, replacement discs, etc. Some of these things come with 20
discs! On top of firm ordering these, we are enrolled in a standing order
leasing plan for very popular titles, so I'd say we get quite a few each
month.

We're currently looking into purchasing audiobooks on MP3 CD format. We're
just not sure how many people would have the appropriate technology to play
them (this may not be a problem in an academic library since I have to
imagine most college students would be able to find something to play an MP3
cd on), not to mention the fact that not all titles are available in this
format.

  We were purchasing from Overdrive (digital audiobooks) which you may want
to check in to, but they are very pricey. We maintain Overdrive (MP3 and
WMA audiobooks, as well as e-books) on top of purchasing the audiobook
CD's. However, due to cost, we are not currently purchasing from
Overdrive. Many of the public libraries in my system (not mine) belong to a
digital consortium. They all contribute and all of their customers have
access. Would there be something like that available?

Our audiobooks are shelved in their own section, not interfiled with any
other media or books. The CD's are kept in the boxes but all have security
strips. I think audiobooks are valuable to a media collection, especially
when you're dealing with The Classics. We have two libraries on high school
campuses and our Classic audiobooks are very popular at those branches. Just
my two cents.

--
Danielle Phillips