Re: [Videolib] Audio Books and Academic Libraries

From: Jana Atkins <JAtkins3@uco.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 14:44:00 PDT

We also have a few, nothing collected in a deliberate manner recently. Most of ours are of the classics genre, non-fiction, and some language learning, although we've had a few others sneak through.

You can make an excellent justification for buying them by checking with the English department on their reading lists, and using ADA as a justification. Sure, computers have lots of assistive technologies to help readers with low vision, but would you rather hear a computerized voice read Oliver Twist, or would you rather hear it from Flo Gibson, with all the vocal inflection and tonal quality the book deserves (assuming she treats it that well)? I'm thinking even the worst monotone is better than any computer. And the schools have not been teaching Braille as widely in recent years as in the past due to the availability of audio books and assistive technology.

Jana Atkins, B.M., M.L.S.
Performing Arts/Multimedia Librarian
University of Central Oklahoma
Max Chambers Library