Re: [Videolib] Audio Books and Academic Libraries

From: Gail Fedak <gfedak@mtsu.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 14:41:09 PDT

Jared,
We began purchasing all genres 17-18 years ago. This past year we spent
approximately $.06 per FTE on audiobooks, all in CD format. Students would
probably love downloads or streaming, but I do not have the money to put
into the licenses these formats require. If your school has a summer
reading program for incoming freshmen and transfer students, you might
suggest getting a copy or two of the selected title in audio format. We do
that to support academics. Beyond that our audio purchases are not designed
to support academic programs. At our level of spending, I do not feel that
we are compromising the academic media collection. By not limiting genres,
we serve a broad base of patrons, many of whom may not use the public
library. Our media library is a separate entity from our main library, so
audiobooks are not filed with the main collection. Ours is also a totally
closed stacks collection, so patrons must browse through the online database
for what we have. We don't even have room to display the jackets so they are
accessible to patrons. So far we have had reasonably good success
circulating the audiobooks. I know I am hooked on them and would be very
disappointed if I had to go to the public library for some genres.
Good luck,
Gail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gail B. Fedak, Director