[Videolib] Audio Books and Academic Libraries

From: Seay, Jared Alexander <SeayJ@cofc.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 13:05:00 PDT

Hey, though not exactly video related, I have a question about audio
books (sort of video with sound only...sort of). Anyway, naturally,
being the "media librarian" person I have been tasked with bringing (or
not) our library into the audio book age. We currently do not collect
audio books. Our director has historically had this "thing" against
having audio books (books on tape back in the day) in an academic
library (at least philosophically). Thus, we have nary a single audio
book. Our head of collection development and I are conspiring to bring
these audio book things into our library. But, we need some information
on justification, explanation of how they are being used in academic
libraries, why they are being used, and -VERY IMPORTANTLY - what FORMAT
is being used (CD, MP3-CD, download, streaming, or what).

Also, are these audio books in the regular collection or (like most
public libraries) are they shelved separately? Are they put in the
video/media collection? Any insights, suggestions, or stories of renown
would be helpful. Thanks.

jared

Jared A. Seay

Reference Librarian