Re: [Videolib] Videos on Diversity

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 13:27:16 PDT

Hi Chris

Here's a (very) short and (very)unsystematic list of faves:

When Billy Broke His Head, and Other Tales of Wonder
    Bill Golfus, a radio journalist who became brain damaged ten years
ago, set out to meet people with disabilities around the country
creating this documentary about how the handicapped experience life in
the United States. Candid, moving and often cuttingly funny personal
interviews portray realities, hardships and coping mechanisms in the
face of government bureaucracy and overwhelming odds. 1994. 57 min.
[Fanlight]

Breathing Lessons: The Life and Work of Mark O'Brien.
    Poet-journalist Mark O'Brien was stricken with polio in childhood and
has spent most of his life in an iron lung. He describes how he has
fought against illness and bureacracy for his right to lead an
independent life and offers his reflections on college, work, sex,
death, euthanasia, and God. Directed, and written by Jessica Yu. 1996.
35 min. [Fanlight]

King Gimp
    A film by Susan Hadary, Bill Whiteford. An Academy Award winning
documentary that chronicles the life of Dan Keplinger who has cerebral
palsy, from his childhood through his early twenties. 1999. 49 min.
[Fanlight]

Dialogues with Madwomen.
    Captures the experiences of seven women who have experienced the dark
side of the imagination -- multiple personality, manic-depression,
schizophrenia, euphoria. Produced by Irving Saraf and Allie Light.
1993. [Women Make Movies]

Best Boy.
    An Academy Award winning film about fifty-two-year-old, mentally
retarded Phillip Wohl and how filmmaker Ira Wohl, his cousin, helped
him gain a degree of independence when his parents could no longer
shelter him. Produced directed and edited by Ira Wohl. Originally
released as a motion picture in 1979; broadcast premiere on P.O.V.
September 6, 1988. 104 min. [home video distributors]

Able to Laugh
    Enter the world of disability as interpreted by six professional
comics--who happen to be disabled. This film examines the awkward ways
disabled and able-bodied people sometimes relate to each other and
examines how humor can remove the barriers of fear, guilt,
vulnerability and misunderstanding. A film by Michael J. Dougan. 1993.
[Fanlight]

Twitch and Shout: A Documentary About Tourette Syndrome.
    Tourette syndrome is a genetic neurological disorder which causes
tics, involuntary movements, noises, and thoughts, as well as
uncontrollable swearing and obsessive-compulsive behavior. This
documentary presents a series of interviews with adults who have been
diagnosed with tourette syndrome but who are now able to participate
in normal living experiences. c1994. 59 min. [Fanlight]

Chicks in White Satin.
    Here comes the bride ... both of them! A student produced Academy
Award winning film documenting the formal Jewish wedding of two
California women, Heidi Stern and Deborah Ellis, and the
reverberations among each of their families. A film by Elaine
Holliman. 1993. 25 min.

Trembling Before G-d
    Built around intimately-told personal stories of Hasidic and Orthodox
Jews who are gay or lesbian, the film portrays a group of people who
face a profound dilemma -- how to reconcile their love of Judaism and
the Divine with the Biblical prohibitions that forbid homosexuality.
84 min.

Tongues Untied.
    A Film by Marlon Riggs. Derogatory accusations, judgments, and jokes
in our culture are met head-on by this video about black, male, and
gay identity. Poetry, personal testimony, and drama unite to oppose
the homophobia and racism that attempt to split a person into opposing
loyalties. Dist.: Frameline. 1989. 55 min.

Girls Like Us.
    This documentary explores female teenage experiences of sexuality and
pregnancy. An ethnically diverse group of four working class girls
strut, flirt and testify about their lives. Filmed in South
Philadelphia over a period of four years and following its
protaganists from age 14 to 18, it brings into sharp relief the
conflicts of growing up female, exposing the impact of class, sexism
and violence on the dreams and expectations of teenage girls.
Producers/directors, Jane C. Wagner, Tina DiFeliciantonio. 1997.
[Women Make Movies]

Juggling Gender: Politics, Sex and Identity.
    Features Jennifer Miller, juggler and director of CircusAmok. Miller
speaks of her life and struggle as a lesbian woman who happens to have
a moustache and beard. Includes scenes of circus performances, a gay
rights parade, Miller interacting with friends, family, and strangers.
1992. 27 min. [Women Make Movies]

Black Is - Black Ain't: A Personal Journey Through Black Identity
    American culture has stereotyped black Americans for centuries.
Equally devastating, the late Marlon Riggs argued, have been the
definitions of "blackness" African Americans impose upon one another
which contain and reduce the black experience. In this film, Riggs
meets a cross-section of African Americans grappling with the paradox
of numerous, often contradictory definitions of blackness. He shows
many who have felt uncomfortable and even silenced within the race
because their complexion, class, sexuality, gender, or speech has
rendered them "not black enough," or conversely, "too black." The film
scrutinizes the identification of "blackness" with masculinity as well
as sexism, patriarchy and homophobia in black America. 1995. 88 min.
[California Newsreel]

First Person Plural
    A personal and political film about the filmmaker's experiences being
adopted from South Korea at the age of nine and raised by an American
Caucasian family. In this personal documentary she chronicles her
struggle to reconcile the demands of two families, two cultures and
two nations. 1999. 59 min. [Center for Asian American Media]

In Search of our Fathers.
    Marco Williams, a young filmmaker from Harvard, decided to try to
track down his father, a man he never knew. In searching for his
roots, he interviews his large family in which nobody had a known
father, in order to find out all he could about his own mysterious
father. His mother refused to tell him any details about his father,
but in 1987 his mother relented and spoke about the affair. James
Berry in Springfield, MA was the man he was looking for. After great
effort Berry agreed to meet his son. 61 min.
[Filmmakers Library]

Mah Jong Orphan.
    A real life film focusing on the widening chasm between a Chinese
mother, Suzane, a first generation immigrant, and her daughter, Lilly,
who is eager to fit in with her Caucasian friends and rejects her
mother's values. Suzan talks of her disappointment at Lilly's choice
of a non-Chinese husband, while Lilly, to her own surprise discovers a
need to pass on her cultural heritage to her son, who eventually heals
the rift between the generations. 45 min. [Filmmakers Library]

...and on an on.

gary

> Hi All,
>
> I'm already getting some great suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
>
> I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks but please continue to send
> your suggestions either off list or on.
>
> Chris McN

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut