Re: [Videolib] videolib Digest, Vol 19, Issue 37

From: Carl Johnson <carl_johnson@byu.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 11:58:52 PDT

Here are some sources and useful information for this topic.

Baruch College, Interactive Guide to Using Copyrighted Media in Your Courses<http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/tutorials/copyright/>

Reed Collage, Copyright Guide to Using Digital Materials in Courses<http://www.reed.edu/cis/policies/copyright_guide.html>

Documentary Filmmakers Best Practices in Fair Use<http://centerforsocialmedia.org/rock/backgrounddocs/bestpractices.pdf>, American University Center for Social Media

Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education<http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/resources/publications/code_for_media_literacy_education/>, American University, Center for Social Media

Code of Best Practice in Fair Use for Online Video<http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/resources/publications/fair_use_in_online_video/>, American University, Center for Social Media

Remix Culture: Fair Us is Your Friend<http://blip.tv/file/2081224>, American University, Center for Social Media

Carl Johnson

Copyright/Licensing Services

Brigham Young University

http://copyright.byu.edu

801 422-3821

Hi Maureen,

I provide curricular consultations to faculty and customized workshops to courses related to student-produced media fairly often during the school year. Where I see "remixing" most frequently applied is with respect to Arts and Humanities - Social Science courses, where short clips are used to create a documentary style narrative (e.g., highlighting the topic of "female genital mutilation" in a Sociology and International Law course). When I come to a class, we typically will discuss fair use of media in projects (I tend to highlight Creative Commons repositories, though we do have VHS-digital capability in our media center), the importance of citing sources within media projects, production schedules (*Warning* - this stuff takes time!), storyboarding, scripting, group collaboration and above all else, good quality research and composition.

I have also seen some really beautiful teaching and learning through media clips integrated with interviews of subject experts and research to create digital storytelling presentations on water sustainability. There was a final event that we sponsored in my Learning Commons, where the students presented their videos and had the interviewed expert subjects, along with scholars from all over campus participate in dialog over the issue. So the possibilities are tremendous.

That said - and I am a newbie so the nuances of my copyright philosophy are still very much evolving - while it likely does

happen, I walk a bit gingerly in promoting the actual use of our collections specifically for media projects in part due to the DMCA

anti-circumvention restrictions for DVD materials (an issue under consideration for exemption), and also because faculty are having

their students post through varying distribution channels (e.g., Youtube, our local streaming service (authenticated), Moodle, DVD),

where the Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Media and four factor analysis are fairly stretched. Chilling effect indeed!

I would be happy to hear what other folks are doing.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott Spicer

Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian

Coordinated Educational Services

University of Minnesota Libraries

233 Walter Library 612.626.0629