Re: [Videolib] videolib Digest, Vol 19, Issue 36

From: Scott Spicer <spic0016@umn.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 26 2009 - 11:34:46 PDT

Hi Maureen,

I provide curricular consultations to faculty and customized workshops
to courses related to student-produced media fairly often during the
school year. Where I see "remixing" most frequently applied is with
respect to Arts and Humanities - Social Science courses, where short
clips are used to create a documentary style narrative (e.g.,
highlighting the topic of "female genital mutilation" in a Sociology
and International Law course). When I come to a class, we typically
will discuss fair use of media in projects (I tend to highlight
Creative Commons repositories, though we do have VHS-digital
capability in our media center), the importance of citing sources
within media projects, production schedules (*Warning* - this stuff
takes time!), storyboarding, scripting, group collaboration and above
all else, good quality research and composition.

I have also seen some really beautiful teaching and learning through
media clips integrated with interviews of subject experts and research
to create digital storytelling presentations on water sustainability.
There was a final event that we sponsored in my Learning Commons,
where the students presented their videos and had the interviewed
expert subjects, along with scholars from all over campus participate
in dialog over the issue. So the possibilities are tremendous.

That said - and I am a newbie so the nuances of my copyright
philosophy are still very much evolving - while it likely does
happen, I walk a bit gingerly in promoting the actual use of our
collections specifically for media projects in part due to the DMCA
anti-circumvention restrictions for DVD materials (an issue under
consideration for exemption), and also because faculty are having
their students post through varying distribution channels (e.g.,
Youtube, our local streaming service (authenticated), Moodle, DVD),
where the Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Media and four factor
analysis are fairly stretched. Chilling effect indeed!

I would be happy to hear what other folks are doing.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Spicer
Media Outreach and Learning Spaces Librarian
Coordinated Educational Services
University of Minnesota Libraries
233 Walter Library 612.626.0629

On Jun 26, 2009, at 12:17 PM, videolib-request@lists.berkeley.edu wrote:

> Send videolib mailing list submissions to
> videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://calmail.berkeley.edu/manage/list/listinfo/videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> videolib-request@lists.berkeley.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> videolib-owner@lists.berkeley.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of videolib digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. VRT Guide to ALA Annual 2009 (J. Wadland)
> 2. Re: VRT Guide to ALA Annual 2009 (Jessica Rosner)
> 3. Re: VRT Guide to ALA Annual 2009 (Jessica Rosner)
> 4. Careers for Chemical Engineers--VHS (Carl Johnson)
> 5. Videos on Diversity (Chris McNevins)
> 6. media project workshops--anyone doing them? (Maureen Tripp)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "J. Wadland" <jwadland@u.washington.edu>
> Subject: [Videolib] VRT Guide to ALA Annual 2009
> To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
> Message-ID:
> <alpine.LRH.2.01.0906251320410.22587@hymn14.u.washington.edu>
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> If you're going to the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, you might
> want to check out "The VRT Guide to the ALA Annual Conference 2009":
>
> http://vrt.ala.org/wiki/index.php?title=VRT_Guide_to_ALA_Annual_Conference_2009
>
> Not only does it have all of the Video Round Table events, meetings,
> and get-togethers, but it also lists other programs, events, and
> vendors that might be of interest to librarians who work with
> video. We'll have a print versions at the VRT booth in the
> Membership Pavilion [Booth #3034], so feel free to come by and pick
> one up.
>
> Thank you to Nell Chenault for helping me put the guide together.
>
> See you in Chicago.
>
> Justin
> Chair, VRT
>
> ________________________________________
> Justin Wadland
> Head, Media and Visual Resources
> UW Tacoma Library
> jwadland@u.washington.edu
> 253.692.5741
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:36:19 -0400
> From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Videolib] VRT Guide to ALA Annual 2009
> To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
> Message-ID:
> <55e0d0090906251336v9fdb086tcb03d6f69ba9bb1c@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Oh goodie I can go to the copyright & fair use session since it is
> before
> the Cubs game. I am disappointed that the Society for Cinema and Media
> studiesguide which among other things asserts it is legal to use and
> digitize anything EVER taped off TV even 25 years ago. I will have
> to ask
> Carrie if that is ALA's position as well.
>
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM, J. Wadland
> <jwadland@u.washington.edu>wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> If you're going to the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, you might
>> want to
>> check out "The VRT Guide to the ALA Annual Conference 2009":
>>
>>
>> http://vrt.ala.org/wiki/index.php?title=VRT_Guide_to_ALA_Annual_Conference_2009
>>
>> Not only does it have all of the Video Round Table events,
>> meetings, and
>> get-togethers, but it also lists other programs, events, and
>> vendors that
>> might be of interest to librarians who work with video. We'll have
>> a print
>> versions at the VRT booth in the Membership Pavilion [Booth #3034],
>> so feel
>> free to come by and pick one up.
>>
>> Thank you to Nell Chenault for helping me put the guide together.
>>
>> See you in Chicago.
>>
>> Justin
>> Chair, VRT
>>
>> ________________________________________
>> Justin Wadland
>> Head, Media and Visual Resources
>> UW Tacoma Library
>> jwadland@u.washington.edu
>> 253.692.5741
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion
>> of issues
>> relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic
>> control,
>> preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in
>> libraries and
>> related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an
>> effective
>> working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of
>> communication
>> between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and
>> distributors.
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment scrubbed and removed.
> HTML attachments are only available in MIME digests.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:55:38 -0400
> From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Videolib] VRT Guide to ALA Annual 2009
> To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
> Message-ID:
> <55e0d0090906251355n64568ec0t52502a2969afe8ac@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Um I need to learn not to type so fast. I meant I was disappointed
> to see
> the SCMS guidelines listed as a rescou
>
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Jessica Rosner
> <maddux2014@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Oh goodie I can go to the copyright & fair use session since it is
>> before
>> the Cubs game. I am disappointed that the Society for Cinema and
>> Media
>> studies guide which among other things asserts it is legal to use
>> and
>> digitize anything EVER taped off TV even 25 years ago. I will have
>> to ask
>> Carrie if that is ALA's position as well.
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM, J. Wadland <jwadland@u.washington.edu
>> >wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> If you're going to the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, you might
>>> want to
>>> check out "The VRT Guide to the ALA Annual Conference 2009":
>>>
>>>
>>> http://vrt.ala.org/wiki/index.php?title=VRT_Guide_to_ALA_Annual_Conference_2009
>>>
>>> Not only does it have all of the Video Round Table events,
>>> meetings, and
>>> get-togethers, but it also lists other programs, events, and
>>> vendors that
>>> might be of interest to librarians who work with video. We'll
>>> have a print
>>> versions at the VRT booth in the Membership Pavilion [Booth
>>> #3034], so feel
>>> free to come by and pick one up.
>>>
>>> Thank you to Nell Chenault for helping me put the guide together.
>>>
>>> See you in Chicago.
>>>
>>> Justin
>>> Chair, VRT
>>>
>>> ________________________________________
>>> Justin Wadland
>>> Head, Media and Visual Resources
>>> UW Tacoma Library
>>> jwadland@u.washington.edu
>>> 253.692.5741
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of
>>> issues relating to the selection, evaluation,
>>> acquisition,bibliographic
>>> control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video
>>> formats in
>>> libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will
>>> serve as
>>> an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a
>>> channel of
>>> communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video
>>> producers and distributors.
>>>
>>
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment scrubbed and removed.
> HTML attachments are only available in MIME digests.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:59:04 -0600
> From: Carl Johnson <carl_johnson@byu.edu>
> Subject: [Videolib] Careers for Chemical Engineers--VHS
> To: "videolib@lists.berkeley.edu" <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
> Message-ID:
> <65A4B5FB478BD042A8A52BEF147974383CBEE45621@tiller.exch.ad.byu.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Does anyone know anything about this title (Careers for Chemical
> Engineers)? Anyone or organization to contact other than AIChe or
> Sloan Foundation?
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
> Carl Johnson
>
> 801 422-3821
>
>
>
> ________________________________
>
> I have a VHS tape with the following label:
>
>
>
> The Sloan Career Cornerstone Series
>
> Title--Careers for Chemical Engineers
>
> American Institute of Chemical Engineers
>
>
>
> We would like to make the video available for potential students and
> current students. The tape apparently was produced by the Sloan
> Foundation in some arrangement with the AIChE, but we have been
> unable to reach anyone from the Sloan Foundation to obtain
> permission. A search of the internet eventually leads to a phone
> number and an email address, but messages left at both of those are
> not returned. Meanwhile, representatives at the AIChE have no
> information and refer us back to the Sloan Foundation.
>
>
>
> I have had the VHS digitized, so it is possible to put it on our web
> site, but I want to make sure we've made every possible effort to
> locate someone who can grant official permission before we do it. I
> appreciate your assistance.
>
>
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> [faculty member]
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment scrubbed and removed.
> HTML attachments are only available in MIME digests.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:54:05 -0400
> From: "Chris McNevins" <Chris.McNevins@uconn.edu>
> Subject: [Videolib] Videos on Diversity
> To: <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
> Message-ID:
> <8C81AA7D3B12F4408C6B3359AEB001CC069AF3B6@LIB-EMarks.library.lib.uconn.edu
> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Greetings Collective Brain...
>
> As part of strategic planning for 2009-2010 one of the library's
> strategic goals is to "promote diversity by integrating it into
> collections, instruction and informational materials [and] increase
> marketing of specialied (diversity related) library collections and
> services to potential users." I have been tapped to look for
> materials
> (videos, books) related to this goal.
>
> I was wondering if anyone out in VIDEOLIBland has any suggestions on
> videos about diversity either feature films, documentaries or training
> materials. "Diversity" in this in this regard encompasses a very
> broad
> range (race, age, sexual orientation, religion, disabilities,
> political,
> philosophical diversity, etc.) so I need help thinking "outside the
> box." Also, I would welcome advice on marketing strategies for these
> materials, i.e. what have other libraries (academic in particular)
> done
> to promote or highlight diversity awareness?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated....
>
> Chris McN
>
> Chris McNevins
> Acquisitions Coordinator
> University of Connecticut
> Homer Babbidge Library
> Collections Services
> Acquisitions-Financial Services-Statistics Team
> 369 Fairfield Way Unit 2005AM
> Storrs, CT 06269-2005
> ph: 860-486-3842
> fax: 860-486-6493
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:17:23 -0400
> From: "Maureen Tripp" <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu>
> Subject: [Videolib] media project workshops--anyone doing them?
> To: <videolib@lists.berkeley.edu>
> Message-ID:
> <20EBF4F2D8307E4EAF71464CBE00559413FE110D@HAIL.emerson.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Dear videolibbers,
> Does anyone do workshops for faculty and/or students on integrating
> media into scholarship, specifically by using clips in multimedia
> projects?
> I'm trying to come up with ways our students and faculty can make
> creative use of the collection-for research, and for presenting the
> results of the research.
> Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/warnings would be more than
> appreciated!
>
> Maureen Tripp
> Media Librarian
> Iwasaki Library
> 120 Boylston Street
> Boston, MA 02116
> maureen_tripp@emerson.edu
> (617)824-8407
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment scrubbed and removed.
> HTML attachments are only available in MIME digests.
>
> End of videolib Digest, Vol 19, Issue 36
> ****************************************

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.
Received on Fri Jun 26 11:34:44 2009

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Tue Oct 20 2009 - 15:14:43 PDT