Re: [Videolib] Bulk slide scanner

From: M. Claire Stewart <claire-stewart@northwestern.edu>
Date: Wed Jun 17 2009 - 09:16:59 PDT

We use Nikon SuperCoolScans with the optional 50-slide loader. Have
probably purchased 5 or 6 of these in the past 5-7 years. We also
have a Creo iQSmart2 flatbed scanner that has a slide holding
transparency tray. The quality of the Creo (now a Kodak product) is
superb and it's an option if you have the budget ($10K) and want the
bonus of an excellent flatbed scanner, but it's slower and fussier to
scan slides this way. We also have several Epson 10000XLs, which have
an optional transparency adapter. These are cheaper than the Creos
(about $3K ea) but the quality is not quite as good and while the
scanning is faster, they're even fussier as they do not automatically
slice and isolate each slide from the holder scan. By far the
dedicated slide scanners are the way to go. I'd watch out for those
Pacific Imaging and Braun slide scanners, though, the reviews have
not been good, but we have no direct experience with them here.

BTW this topic is discussed frequently and more comprehensively on
IMAGELIB and on the VRA-L lists, you might look at the archives and a
posting there instead.

Claire

--
M. Claire Stewart