Re: [Videolib] Help with environment and nutrition films

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 16 2009 - 08:37:50 PDT

Shalom Wendy

Here are a few ideas

Diet Wars
    Explores the social, cultural and dietary factors that led to the
fattening of America, and examines how the medical and diet industries
responded to consumers' desire to lose weight. What most nutritionists
and industry experts do agree on is the fact that America is facing an
obesity problem of epidemic proportions -- about two-thirds of
Americans are overweight, and of those, half are already obese, and an
alarming percentage are children. This program also critically
examines the variety of weight loss programs whose underyling
principles are often contradictory. Originally broadcast on the
television program Frontline on April 8, 2004. Dist.: PBS. 60 min.

Available for free online at:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/diet/view/

Fast Food World: Perils and Promises of the Global Food Chain
    Introduction: Alice Waters. Moderator: Orville Schell. Panel: Wendell
Berry, Carlo Petrini, Michael Pollan, Eric Schlosser, Vandana Shiva. A
panel discussion examining the economic, social and health aspects of
worldwide food production and the role of food industries in promoting
human welfare. Looks at such issues as agribusiness, global food
production and marketing, world hunger and the equitable distribution
of food. 11/24/03 / a Berkeley Webcast event 124 min.

Available for free online at:
http://webcast.berkeley.edu:8080/ramgen/2002/special_events/jschool//fastfood.rm

Good Food/Bad Food: Obesity in American Children
    Since the mid-1970s, there has been a tripling of the number of
children who are overweight or at risk for being overweight. This film
discusses some of the reasons for this phenomenon--there is little
physical exercise, and there is poor food choice for children due to
things such as the ease of fast food, TV advertisements, and vending
machines and poor food lunches in schools. The result of this rise in
obesity among children is an accompanying rise in physical problems
associated with obesity formerly seen in adults, such as heart
disease, type II diabetes, and sleep apnea. The film closes by showing
a variety of activities and programs that can fight obesity in
children. School lunches can be made more healthy and children can be
made more involved with their food (such as growing a garden),
physical education programs can be (re)instituted into the curriculum,
and family-centered activities can be developed. [Produced by]: Allie
Light, Irving Saraf [and] Nancy Evans. 2005. 31 min. {available from
Fanlight}

The Omnivore's Dilemma
    Knight Professor of Journalism Michael Pollan, discusses his new book,
"The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals," with Davia
Nelson of NPR's The Kitchen Sisters and co-author of "Hidden Kitchens:
Stories, Recipes & More". What should we have for dinner? According to
Michael Pollan the answer may determine our survival as a species.
Should we eat a fast-food hamburger? Something organic? Or perhaps
something we hunt, gather, or grow ourselves? The omnivore's dilemma
has returned with a vengeance, as the cornucopia of the modern
American supermarket and fast-food outlet confronts us with a
bewildering and treacherous food landscape. What's at stake in our
eating choices is not only our own and our children's health, but the
health of the environment that sustains life on earth. UC Berkeley,
April 17, 2006. 1 hour, 27 minutes

Available for free online at:
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/events/details.php?webcastid=15747

UC Berkeley