Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD conversion policies

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 10:30:43 PDT

Hi Samantha

There's nothing much to craft. The provisions for transferring from vhs
(or other formats) to DVD (or other formats) are fairly circumscribed.
Pretty much the only allowances are the provisions of Section 108 of the
copyright law, which have to do with replacement copying and use of
at-risk materials or materials in obsolete formats which cannot be
replaced at fair market price.

VHS is not really obsolete (yet), and, as my pal Jessica Rosner has
vigorously pointed out (many many many times), simply copying for
convenience sake ain't legit... Copying titles which are rickety and not
available for purchase in THE SAME or other formats may be under 108.

Gary Handman

> Hello everyone -
>
> I searched the archives of this list, but I didn't find exactly what I was
> looking for. I was hoping that you could share insight about VHD-to-DVD
> conversion policies for your university libraries' collections. We are
> looking to craft one here, and would love to know how other institutions
> have handled this, particularly with titles that are not available for
> purchase on DVD. Also, after you created such a policy, did you have
> university legal counsel review it?
>
> Thanks!
> Samantha
>

> Samantha E. Slade