Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD conversion policies (totally off topic)

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 09:07:10 PDT

Last week a professor called me to ask if he could make 2 copies of a
DVD in our collection because he wanted to send them to his state
senator and representative for educational purposes. HAHAHAHA. I
suggested he buy a couple of copies (available at the exorbitant price
of $17.99 ...)!!

Sarah @ Hofstra

>>> Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com> 6/11/2009 11:41 AM >>>
Well please make sure legal counsel reviews the applicable copyright
law in
Section 108http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108
The crucial section here is subsection 2 of section B which states if
you
make a DIGITAL copy of a deteriorating work or one that is in format
that
is no
longer in use that copy MAY NOT LEAVE the premise of the archive or
library.
The point of this section is preservation not to permit copying from
one
format to another make it up to date and more convenient. If your VHS
copy
is shall we say going down any transfer to a digital format is done for
the
purpose of keeping it available for research NOT circulation.

As always I know it is frustrating that many important films are not
available in DVD but if you just start making illegal copies because a
professor asks you
you are helping to destroy independent filmmakers in particular. If I
had a
dollar for every time an academic assured me that they would surely BUY
the
film if ONLY it were available, I would probably still be at Kino. It
takes
time and money to get a film to a good quality DVD and it is hard
enough to
justify that cost for studios let alone small distributors if folks
just
make their own copies but promise they will buy a legal one when it
comes
out.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Slade, Samantha <slade@lasalle.edu>
wrote:

> Hello everyone –
>

> I searched the archives of this list, but I didn’t find exactly
what I was
> looking for. I was hoping that you could share insight about
VHD-to-DVD