Re: [Videolib] VHS to DVD conversion policies

From: Jessica Rosner <maddux2014@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 08:41:34 PDT

Well please make sure legal counsel reviews the applicable copyright law in
Section 108http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108
The crucial section here is subsection 2 of section B which states if you
make a DIGITAL copy of a deteriorating work or one that is in format that
is no
longer in use that copy MAY NOT LEAVE the premise of the archive or library.
The point of this section is preservation not to permit copying from one
format to another make it up to date and more convenient. If your VHS copy
is shall we say going down any transfer to a digital format is done for the
purpose of keeping it available for research NOT circulation.

As always I know it is frustrating that many important films are not
available in DVD but if you just start making illegal copies because a
professor asks you
you are helping to destroy independent filmmakers in particular. If I had a
dollar for every time an academic assured me that they would surely BUY the
film if ONLY it were available, I would probably still be at Kino. It takes
time and money to get a film to a good quality DVD and it is hard enough to
justify that cost for studios let alone small distributors if folks just
make their own copies but promise they will buy a legal one when it comes
out.