Re: [Videolib] Library Marketing

From: John Vallier <vallier@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 09:35:43 PDT

Good point, Gary. There has been a tendency among some librarians to
worship the wonders of web 2.0, believing that all our patrons are
hardwired to Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc., 24/7. While I'm a bit
more of an web 2.0 agnostic, I do think of these technologies as
merely extensions to our website or, in the case of our reviews blog,
a way of getting our students involved with writing about the
collection. And while statistics are crucial, I don't think they are
solely capable of identifying what adds value and substance. MySpace
has allowed us to get in touch with numerous bands and performers as
part of our regional music collecting project: http://www.myspace.com/
libradio While MySpace itself hasn't been identified by these bands
as adding value to our operation, it has made such outreach possible.
It has also fostered a sense of community that more than a few bands
have told us--qualitatively speaking--they really appreciate.

John
_________
John Vallier
Head, Distributed Media Services