Re: [Videolib] Library Marketing

From: John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 08:35:31 PDT

I was wondering if the success or failure of marketing collections with, to as Gary put it, "groovy-tech" (I like that term much more that Social Networking) has also to due with the Public/Academic divide. Just from what I see, the publics seem more successful, but the academics not so much. Perhaps, the groovy tech in the public sector is doing what it is made for, spreading the word reaching out to people, saving time, and exposing people to events and items that may appeal to them socially. In the academic world, students use the groovy-tech to avoid their "work" as many regard their schooling as their job. How many of us want our work world intruding into our non-work world? The students are probably the same. Just a thought.
regards,
jhs

John H. Streepy
Media Services Supervisor
Library-Media Circulation
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548

(509) 963-2861
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

"Hand to hand combat just goes with the territory.
All part of being a librarian" -- James Turner "Rex Libris"

Transitus profusum est nocens!

>>> <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> 6/5/2009 4:56 PM >>>
It has been interesting seeing the various creative ways in which folks
are using the web and moble comm to market. The question remains: what
kind of assessment is being done re the effectiveness of doing all this
stuff...or are we simply twittering in the void. Libraries are often big
on anecdotal evidence and not so hot on more specific measures.

I do all of the facebooking, twittering, blogging, youtubing stuff, too,
but judging from google analytics and other directory counts, it appears
to me that no one really cares much or tunes in much. Groovy-tech is only
groovy if it's adding value and substance to an operation. I'm not
convinced in the least that all of this stuff is...

I'd like to hear from folks on the list who have had different
experiences, or who have different points of view.

UC Berkeley

--Francois Truffaut