Re: [Videolib] AV Marketing

From: Susan Albrecht <albrechs@wabash.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 11:36:20 PDT

At 02:14 PM 6/4/2009, Christine Godin wrote:

>I was dismayed recently to find that several VHS docs we are
>withdrawing due to lack of circulation have NEVER circulated. And
>some of them, I know, were suggested by a faculty member. Now no one
>wants them because there are no VHS players in our new high tech classrooms.
>
>I am urging my librarians to send an email to appropriate faculty
>members when something in their area comes in. A personal email, not
>a campus blast that most will ignore. I will be interested to see
>what the reaction is.

I know that we are small, but I send email notices for EVERY video
(and book, for that matter) that we add to our collection. I send
the notice to the individual who made the request or, if I made the
decision to purchase, to any faculty member I think might have an
interest in the film. I think this makes a big difference, at least
in getting that initial circulation, and it's appreciated by our
faculty. I have gotten the sense, even from other small
institutions, that this is *not* standard procedure. Our @!*# &*
system won't do this automatically, so it's a chore but is great PR
and makes me feel good that we're getting the word out about new acquisitions.

Susan at Wabash

Susan Albrecht
Acquisitions Manager
Wabash College Lilly Library