Re: [Videolib] Baker & Taylor expands digital distribution

From: <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 15:20:48 PDT

OK...I got ahold of Overdrive's marketing guy about this...

The bottom line is: he's unclear about what B&T will bring to the table
in this deal (both in terms of books and video). We'll have to wait and
see.

There are lots of folks on this list familiar with Overdrive; they're
fairly new to me because their meat and potatoes are public libs and K-12.
 They basically operate on a typical ebook model: you license access per
title: you can either license for single-user use or multiple-user use.
In the single-user model, a library patron "checks-out" a video. The
video is downloaded to the desktop and available for use for a fixed loan
period. Windows Media only. Once the loan period is over, the file is no
longer accessible (typical with Windows Media DRM). In multiple-user
mode, more than one user at a time can check out a title.

Others may want to elaborate more on the basic service. Right now, their
list of videos is really not all that suitable for higher ed... Publics
seem to be enthusiastic (San Francisco PL and NYPL among them).

It'll be interesting to see what B&T adds to the list.

gary

> Anyone know anything about this?
>
> Baker & Taylor expands digital distribution
> Partners with OverDrive for downloadable video, music, books
> By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 5/26/2009
>
> MAY 26 | DIGITAL: Baker & Taylor is expanding its digital distribution
> capabilities by partnering with technology provider OverDrive.
>
> Wholesale distributor Baker & Taylor will create a Digital Media Library,
> powered by OverDrive, to deliver retail clients such downloadable content
> as
> e-books, audio books, music and video. Additionally, clients can work with
> Baker & Taylor to offer their store customers digital content directly for
> playback on a variety of devices.
>
> "Baker & Taylor continues to enhance its digital media distribution
> platform
> with the best technologies available in the market," Baker & Taylor CEO
> Tom
> Morgan said. "We are executing on Baker & Taylor's strategic vision to be
> the industry leader in the distribution of bundled physical and digital
> media to our customers worldwide."
>
> OverDrive also operates the Digital Bookmobile, a touring 18-wheeler that
> educates people about free digital book downloads on behalf of public
> libraries.
>
> OverDrive CEO Steve Potash said, "The market timing for this alliance is
> perfect. The demand for digital media is exploding, and Baker & Taylor is
> in
> a prime position to give customers a bundled solution, digital content in
> multiple formats along with physical media."
>

> Jonathan Miller
> President
> Icarus Films
> 32 Court Street, 21st Floor