[Videolib] Call for progressive vendors: Alternative Media Reception, ALA, Chicago: 7/13/09 7-10 PM Monday:

From: Catherine Michael <cmichael@ithaca.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 08:55:48 PDT

Dear Video Vendor*:

The Alternative Media Task Force (ALA/Social Responsibilities Round
Table) is seeking publishers and producers of progressive media to
its 17th Annual Alternative Media Reception. We will hold the event
on Monday, July 13, 2009 from 7:00 – 10:00 P.M. during the American
Library Association's annual conference in downtown Chicago.

In keeping with the progressive tradition of SRRT and ALA's Library
Bill of Rights we organize the Alternative Media Reception annually
to provide a venue for progressive and independent media publishers
and producers to showcase their materials and mingle with librarians
and the general public.

Adding to the excitement is the fact that our event will coincide
with SRRT’s 40th Anniversary celebration. We will also celebrate the
40th Anniversary of the Alternative Press Center. The party will
include appetizers and a cash bar. For this special evening live
music will be part of the festivities. Paul Buhle will speak at the
event about underground papers and alternative media rooted in the
1960s.

The location is Experimental Station in Chicago's Hyde Park
neighborhood. Experimental Station takes its name from a 1901 Frank
Lloyd Wright speech, "The Art and Craft of the Machine", and is
occupied by various collaborative projects in independent publishing,
contemporary art, experimental music, organic gardening, bulk food
purchasing, ecological initiatives, and youth education. The event
is accessible via public transportation: the Metra Electric Line
departing from Michigan Avenue and Randolph (Millennium Park Station)
services the 59th Street stop (University of Chicago), a quick walk
from Experimental Station.

Our average attendance for this event is 150, but we are expecting a
larger attendance this year because of the SRRT 40th Anniversary
celebration. Our funding from the American Library Association is
very limited, so we need to cover our costs with a sliding-scale
tabling fee/donation. Depending on how much space you need or how
many titles are on your list, we are asking for a donation of $40 to
$100. Please make checks payable to American Library Association and
send them to Lyn Miller-Lachmann, Alternative Media Task Force, 194
Lenox Ave., Albany, NY 12208.

If you are interested in participating please contact one of us to
reserve a table. We just ask each exhibitor to arrive an hour early
for set-up preparations. We can also use your help in sharing this
information to other media organizations that may want to exhibit
with us.

Gary Colmenar, colmenar@library.ucsb.edu / (805) 893.8067.

Lyn Miller-Lachmann, MCReview@aol.com / (518) 729-3976

For general info about us, please see the following web sites:

v American Library Association: http://www.ala.org/

v ALA Social Responsibilities Round Table: http://libr.org/SRRT/

v SRRT Alternatives in Media Task Force: http://libr.org/amtf

v Alternative Press Center: http://www.altpress.org

v Experimental Station, 6100 S. Blackstone Ave, Chicago, IL.: http://
www.experimentalstation.org

Thank you,

Lyn Miller-Lachmann

Editor-in-Chief, MultiCultural Review

Chair, AMTF

194 Lenox Ave.

Albany, NY 12208

AND

Gary Colmenar

Associate Librarian

Information Services

Davidson Library

U.C. Santa Barbara,

Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9010

*Librarians reading this are welcome to come for a $20 door fee. See
old friends, make new friends, and catch the latest in independent
perspectives!

Posted by SRRT/AMTF member:
Catherine H. Michael
Communications & Legal Studies Librarian
Ithaca College Library
Gannett Center 1201, 953 Danby Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
phone: 607-274-1293