Re: [Videolib] 16mm film price

From: Sarah McCleskey <Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu>
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 12:08:31 PDT

Brigid,

I believe that as the recipient you are not allowed by the IRS to give the patron a tax value. The patron would have to come up with that him/herself. If it's something that's very valuable (I believe over $5000) s/he would need a written appraisal from an independent source.

Sarah

Sarah E. McCleskey
Head of Access Services
Acting Director, Film and Media Library
112 Axinn Library
123 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549
Sarah.E.McCleskey@hofstra.edu
516-463-5076 (o)
516-463-4309 (f)

>>> Brigid Duffy <bduffy@sfsu.edu> 5/29/2009 2:51 PM >>>
Dear fellow video librarians,

A donor has offered us a 16mm print of the 1924 version of "The Thief
of Bagdad". We don't have it in the collection and I wouldn't mind
having it, even on 16.

Problem is, the donor would like to have a thank-you letter listing a
fair price for the film print, for tax purposes. I have no problem
expressing our gratitude for a donation, but I have no clue on the
price.

The DVD goes for $18.19

Any thoughts?

Brigid Duffy