Re: [Videolib] women in jazz

From: Filmakers Library <info@filmakers.com>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 13:10:41 PDT

Filmakers Library has a classic film that might work for you: In a
Jazz Way: A Portrait of Mura Dehn is about the Russian-born dancer
who came to America in the 1930's, drawn by the magic of Harlem's
jazz. Realizing that jazz dance was an extraordinary new art form,
she dedicated herself to preserving it on film. In this delightful
film, made when she was 82, her reminiscences are interwoven with
excerpts from her film The Spirit Moves. Included are memorable
scenes of the Lindy Hop and Be Bop dance at the Savoy Ballroom. 30 min.
Sue E. Oscar
Filmakers Library
124 East 40th St
New York, NY 10016