Re: [Videolib] Oral Testimony of Jonathan Band

From: Matt Bailey <mbailey@carleton.edu>
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 12:35:59 PDT

I'm a little dismayed by the snotty tone taken by Band in this
testimony. He asks why we "canít be trusted to use a technology any 12-
year old can download from the Internet," but then acts like a 12-year-
old himself by saying sarcastic things like "why are we in this
hearing? We should all go across the street together and ask Congress
to repeal the DMCA because it is completely irrelevant."

I'm sure we all agree that the exemption is a no-brainer, and I'm sure
many of us take a dim view of the DMCA as a whole, but is this how we
want ourselves represented in this argument? It doesn't seem likely to
foster a spirit of compromise to me.

> Oral Testimony of Jonathan Band on Behalf of ALA, ACRL, and ARL on
> Renewal and Expansion of the Film Clip Compilation Exemption to the
> DMCA Section 1201 Prohibition on Circumvention of Access Control
> Technologies

Matt

--
Matt Bailey